The Fit-for-55 package, announced through the publication titled "Fit-for-55 - Adoptions," encompasses a series of legislative proposals designed to align the EU with its commitment to reduce net greenhouse gas emissions by 55% by 2030. These proposals span various sectors, each playing a vital role in the transition to a carbon-neutral economy.
- Emission Reductions: The package outlines strategies to significantly reduce emissions across sectors like energy, transport, industry, and agriculture. It introduces more stringent emissions reduction targets, pushing industries to adopt greener practices.
- Renewable Energy: To encourage the transition to renewable energy sources, the package introduces measures to boost the share of renewables in the energy mix. This includes revising renewable energy targets and facilitating the expansion of renewable infrastructure.
- Carbon Pricing: The package strengthens the EU Emissions Trading System (ETS) by lowering the emissions cap and expanding its scope to include new sectors. Additionally, it introduces a Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM) to prevent carbon leakage.
- Sustainable Transport: The proposals aim to accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles by establishing stricter emission standards for vehicles and enhancing the charging infrastructure.
- Building Renovation: The package prioritizes energy-efficient building renovations to reduce energy consumption and emissions from the construction sector.
- Carbon Removal and Carbon Sink Enhancement: It emphasizes the restoration and protection of forests, wetlands, and other natural ecosystems to enhance carbon removal capabilities.
For inquiries please contact:
RBI Regulatory Advisory
Raiffeisen Bank International AG | Member of RBI Group | Am Stadtpark 9, 1030 Vienna, Austria | Tel: +43 1 71707 - 5923